Monday, January 31, 2011

Yes

The Lord has blessed me immensely through child sponsorship. My girls, Mariam and Sophie, have brought so much joy to my life. I've been sponsoring them for about 3 years now and have been able to watch them as they grow.

Mariam is so much like me. At first she appears quiet, but after some time she starts to open up. And she loves to please others. She's still very young (about 7 or 8 years old) and is just really starting to understand English. So we're starting to be able to communicate a little easier. Here is how a typical conversation with Mariam might go:

Me: Hello Mariam. How are you?
Mariam: I am fine, thank you.
Me: Did you eat today?
Mariam: Yes.
Me: Did you have a nice time at school?
Mariam: Yes.
Me: It is hot out today. Are you warm?
Mariam: Yes
Me (starting to catch on): Are you cold?
Mariam (not wanting to disappoint): Yes.
Me (starting to giggle): Would you like to sit down?
Mariam: Yes.
Me: Would you like to sit in this chair?
Mariam: Yes
Me: Would you like to sit on the roof?
Mariam (bless her heart): Yes.

Anything I ask her, the answer is yes.

You know it makes me think about our conversations with God. How open are we to saying "Yes" to anything He asks? Especially when we're not even sure we understand what's being asked of us?

This Scripture has caught my eye this week:

Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it. - Luke 18:16-17

Jesus wants followers who come to Him like a child. He's not saying we need to behave like children, but that we should have the same sincerity as a child coming to someone they love.

I was recently reading a book titled Experiencing God by Henry T. Blackaby, and he was saying that in the Christian language, two words can never go together: "No, Lord." He goes on to say that if you say, "No," He is not Lord of your life. Now that's not to say that we can never say no to anything (just because an opportunity arises does not necessarily mean it is something God wants us to do). But what it is saying is that when the Lord truly calls us to do something, then we must always answer "Yes."

Just as Mariam came to me and to every question I asked her the answer was yes, the Lord longs for us to come to Him in the same manner.


What will your reply be?


- Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment