Friday, January 14, 2011

Amazed

I was reading through a journal I kept last year while I was sick. Exactly a year ago I chronicled what my days were like. I'm so amazed by what the Lord has done in my life. This time last year I was completely unable to spend any more than 4 hours out of bed. I was in terrible amounts of pain, which I described like this:

My body aches terribly. I feel like I'm trembling on the inside. The aches in my muscles are like the worst aches from a high fever. The joint pain is a cross between being crushed by a steamroller and being squeezed by the Hulk. The muscle pain is like doing the most intesnse workout ever for the first time (P90x?). I can't sit in one position for very long without needing to move around.

This time last year, I was sleeping 3 hours in the middle of the day. I could barely take a shower without needing to lay down. And I had improved somewhat since the beginning of the illness in September. It was tough. Having to lay in bed all day doesn't really give you a sense of accomplishment in life. It didn't seem like I was doing anything that mattered. But I was determined to take it one day at a time.

And it's certainly paid off. Though I'm not yet 100%, I'm getting there. I can finally put in a full day of teaching. I'm still on the no fun diet, but my tastes are changing and what was once no fun is now putting a lot of fun into my life (meaning eating healthy makes me feel good so I can do things I love to do).

And I've realized that the last year and a half has served a purpose. The Lord has brought me out of this with stronger faith and a better understanding of His love for me. And I truly believe it's all been training for what He has in store for me in the future.

Thank you to all who have spent countless hours praying for me. The Lord has done a mighty thing through your prayers. And thank you for walking this road with our family. There's certainly more to come.

- Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment