Friday, May 14, 2010

Aly's Update (Alternately Titled: 'What I Wouldn't Give for a Cookie')

Things have been a little crazy around here lately, with doctor's appointments, tests, and whatnot. To say it's been draining would be a huge understatement. The past 8 months has been one of the longest and probably most difficult of my life. But it's also been a time of major spiritual growth.

A month ago, I had a spinal tap done. I was very nervous about it and had tried to avoid it as much as possible. In fact, I was scheduled to have one in December, but the doctor didn't think we'd find much of anything, and after praying about it I decided not to go through with it. But part of that decision was also that if it came up again that I'd do it. Well, it came up again, and I found myself in a brightly lit, white room with a doctor clutching a massive needle.

I spent the next few days going between laying flat on my back to avoid headaches and laying on my side to relieve the pain in my back from the test.

After a few days, the doctor gave me a whoopie! and a but. "Whoopie! your preliminary results came back completely normal (all protein, white and red blood cell counts). BUT those special African tests they wanted to have run...yeah we don't know where to send those out."

What's that you ask? Why didn't they figure that out before they ran the test? Well that, my friend, would cause my story to end there, and my God has a sense of humor and knows I love me a good story so He's giving me one.

Cut to this past Monday. After weeks of calling the doctors, trying to keep on them about finding out where to send the test, the neurologist calls me and says, "Well, I did some research and...funny thing...turns out that 3 of the tests we wanted to run are actually done better with blood. And guess what?! It gets better! The one test that we can do with the spinal fluid would be super easy but, heh here's where you'll laugh...our lovely friends who were holding onto your fluid threw it away." (Note: He may not have used those exact words...)

So blah blah blah. I didn't catch the rest of the conversation because I was trying to decide if I should be screaming at the top of my lungs or crying hysterically (by the way, I chose the latter).

It's hard when God's plan doesn't meet our expectations. But in the midst of this bottom-of-the-valley moment, God brought a glimmer of hope.

I went to a local Preventive Medicine and Wellness Clinic for a consult. My chiropractor (the only helpful doctor through all this) had suggested I check out a treatment that they do there. And after going we may almost, sort of, kind of, possibly have a teeny bit of an answer:

Fungus.

Ew, right? Well, she actually said it might be a fungus or a virus or a parasite. But none of those sound any better really. She started me on a whole bunch of nutritional supplements to help boost my immune system. Also, she did a treatment where they took out a little bit of my blood, injected ozone gas in it, shook up the bag, and put it all back into my bloodstream. The ozone gas is really just oxygen which, when introduced into the blood, is supposed to help kill off the fungus/virus/parasite. They said I might end up feeling flulike for a few days (not a big change from normal) but that was a good thing because it means we're onto something. (This isn't a one-time quick fix. This has been running rampant in my body for so long that it'll take weeks to know if we're headed anywhere with it).

Last night I felt horrible. And I've never been happier about it in my life!

EXCEPT she also put me on a new high-protein diet. That means no carbs, no sugars, no processed foods, and no dairy. So basically she just took out about 90% of my diet.


One all beef patty, little sauce, pickles, on a...lettuce leaf. Not exactly a Big Mac, but if it'll make me better I'll do it. (I look so thrilled...)

And it's only for 2 weeeks. We're calling it our 2 weeks for 4 plan. Because we're in full planning mode for spending 4 weeks in Uganda this summer. This sickness won't slow me down! And I fully intend on being able to run around with the kids while I'm there.

Some people might say to me, "But Aly, you've been laying around looking and feeling awful for the past 8 months. How will you do it?"

I won't. Even if I were healed today, I still have a long road to being back to my normal strength. But I trust, with all that I have, that God's going to provide the strength I need. Some of the greatest work God calls us to do involve talents, materials, and strength that we just don't have on our own. Does that mean we shouldn't do them? Of course not! That proves that God is the one who makes it all work. The Lord is working up something big for my family this summer, and I can't wait to take part in it.

I'm glad you're along with us for the ride.

And if in the next 2 weeks, you find yourself eating a yummy cookie, or piece of chocolate, please savor a bite for me. - Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment