Saturday, November 19, 2011

Being Still

I've spent the better part of today lounging around in sweatpants and a fleece, skipping basketball practice this morning (you know something is up if I skip practice) and trying, with little success, to stay awake. There's a bug going around school, and despite all the hand washing and sanitizing I couldn't keep it away.

Since returning to full health from my long-term sickness, I haven't had many colds or flu-bugs. But when I do feel under the weather, I find that I can't stand resting. I know it's what my body needs to get better. But after spending so much time before laying around doing nothing, the thought of laying around all day drives me a little crazy. It's funny because while I was so sick, I learned how to be still and I didn't want to forget how important it is to slow down every once in a while. But now, being still feels like torture, like a child in time-out. I just want to keep saying, "Can I get up yet?"

But I have to remember that sometimes being still is exactly what we need. It gives us time to stop and listen, to process what's really going on. It may not be fun, and it may not be easy, but sometimes it's necessary.

I know I'll be back to reading stories, teaching multiplication, and shooting jump shots before I know it. But for now, as hard as it can be, I'll try to enjoy being still.

- Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment