Friday, November 25, 2011

Making a Difference

I love the day after Thanksgiving, not because I could buy a 55 inch LCD TV for $600 (even if I had the money where would I put it?), not because it begins the Christmas shopping season (leaving Walmart a war zone for the next 5 weeks), not because I can finally listen to Christmas music (I've been listening to it for the past month), and also not for the leftovers (but let's face it, that's a happy bonus).



No, I love the day after Thanksgiving because I can finally legitimately wear my Christmas socks and not face scoffing or public ridicule. My personal favorite are my candy cane socks:







I also have a red and white pair of knee socks I love.



But unfortunately there are still those Grinches who poke fun and for them I wear these:




Since I'm a teacher, I feel like I can justify wearing such things because they're cute and kid friendly. Though I am treading a fine line here and need to watch out because first it's all cute and innocent. I'm just wearing cute Christmas socks to make my students smile, but next thing I know I find myself buying a sweater at Christopher and Banks with Santa in his sleigh with 8 tiny reindeer and Rudolph's nose actually blinks, and there are bells that jingle every time I move. Not that there's anything wrong with Christopher and Banks, but it seems like a vortex that sucks Elementary School teachers in and I'm only 24 and just don't want to go there yet.


But all joking aside, today begins the Christmas season. And how do we, as Americans kick it off? Black Friday. A day of deals on things people usually don't need using money they usually don't have. This is the time of year I wrestle with myself any time I watch tv or go out to pick up a few needed supplies. The ads they have out this time of year will catch our eye like they don't any other time of year.


1 John 2: 16-17 says, "For the world offers only a craving for everything we see, and pride in our possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along wth everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever."


So as the countdown to Christmas begins, let's focus not on all the stuff of this world that's fading away, but focus instead on things that last. What will you do this Christmas season to make an lasting difference in someone else's life?


- Aly


No comments:

Post a Comment