Monday, December 12, 2011

Turning Someday into Today

I know, I know. I've been neglecting the blog lately. I've said it before, but I really can't begin to explain how crazy it is to work, coach, prepare for Christmas, and on top of all that prepare for the trip. I've never had to prepare for a trip this time of the year, and I must admit it's left me feeling a little off balance.

But that's not what I wanted to talk to you about today. My dear friend Karen wrote a blog post today about a girl she met in Uganda last summer. (You can read the post by clicking the link here.)


Her name is Angel. She was one of those kids that Karen just happened to find while out on home visits one day, but really I think Angel was meant to find Karen. You see, Karen hadn't been to Africa before. She works in the child sponsor department at AMG, so she has read the stories on paper. She's seen the faces through photos. But this trip, the stories and faces became real. And Angel is one such child.

After following Karen around, holding her hand, not wanting to leave her side it was finally time for us to get on the bus and leave. But just before we did, Karen found out that this sweet face that smiled at her, the precious hand that held hers all day long belonged to a child who is HIV positive. And a piece of her heart broke.






This child is a total orphan. If you read the information on Karen's blog you'll see that she was abandoned in a pile of garbage by her family after her parents died. She was literally plucked from the trash by a man who doesn't have the money to care for her. She's a child who is broken and in need of hope, so Karen is searching for someone to sponsor her.

Proverbs 3:27-28 says, "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, 'come back later; I'll give it tomorrow' -when you now have it with you."

I think so often we have this someday mentality. "I'll sponsor a child someday." "I'll get involved in ministry or missions or volunteer work someday." But according to this verse, if we have the time, resources, or talents to do something to help others right now then we need to do it.

We shouldn't spend our lives relying on someday because someday may never come. We may never have enough money, or have enough time, or get whatever it is we think we need before we can act. If we keep putting things off until someday then we will miss out on the blessing God has in store for us when we decide to act today.

So what do you say? Are you willing to turn your someday into today? Will you take a stand to help this child become who God has called her to be by sponsoring her for $28 a month? Today is the day you can change a life for eternity.


- Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment