Sunday, June 26, 2011

World Cup Soccer and Role Models

I'm not going to lie to you. This post doesn't have very much to do with our ministry...although Ugandan's love soccer, so maybe there's a connection. So if you're not interested in my non-ministry ramblings, feel free to take the day off. I'll be returning tomorrow to our regularly scheduled blog posting.

Well, anyone who knows anything about me knows that I am a HUGE women's soccer fan. Since I saw the women win the World Cup back in 1999, I was hooked. And I've followed them ever since. I've traveled to Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Cleveland to see them play. I have autographs from some of the best players in the world. And I don't mean to brag, but Abby Wambach gave me a high five and it was pretty awesome. I follow their travels on their blog and twitter. I'm not a stalker...

I prefer the term "professional crazed fan."

So the Women's World Cup officially starts today in Germany. I've been waiting for this day for 4 years, so I am pumped. The US women haven't won a World Cup tournament in 12 years.



I grew up watching Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly, Brandi Chastain, and Julie Foudy. They were strong role models for me growing up, showing me women could be strong and confident in whatever they chose to do. I always knew I wanted to be a teacher, but for a short while I wanted so badly to be a professional soccer player. (Don't roll your eyes. I was 10 and I thought I had it in the bag). I looked up to these women and dreamt one day I could be like them.




I think everyone in life deserves a good role model. Someone to look up to, to see their hard work and dedication to something. It's important. So often in life we learn from example, and we need more good role models in this world.




Well look at that! Maybe I can make a connection to ministry today. Last year when we were leaving Uganda, my dad talked about this. Others are always watching us. It doesn't matter if we're famous or just average joes. There's always someone watching, and especially with the younger kids, they're always watching what we put our time and energy into, what we're dedicating ourselves to. So the question for us Christians is, are we living a life that shows our dedication to God? Will others take notice and do the same? Are we living out our calling to be good role models for others in this world?

- Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment