Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

Back when I was a kid, I didn't like to share my dad. Afterall, he was my dad. He made me eggs for breakfast, he tucked me in at night, he even played Barbies with me (he might deny this one, but we have photographic proof!). He called me "peanut" or "Aly-gator." But someone else try and call me those, and you learn pretty quickly that he's the only one allowed to use those names!

But now that I've grown older, and now that we've traveled halfway around the world, I've been able to share my dad in a new way. When we're in Uganda, he serves as "dad" to our sponsored children.



He's known as "Daddy Dean" to the kids at Camp El Har. And if you ask the girls I sponsor who he is, they say "Grandfather."




And though our experiences, I've been able to see my dad grow more spiritually, become more humble, and shine through his example to the children, especially the boys and young men.


He teaches.



He plays.


And he gives kids a chance to be kids - to do some things they may not normally get to do, like climb trees.



So if I had to share my dad with anyone, it would be these kids.


Happy Father's Day, Dad!


I love you.


- Aly


No comments:

Post a Comment