Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What Makes Me Smile

This morning reminded me an awful lot of mornings in Uganda. I felt a cool breeze sweeping through an open window. The sun was shining and the weatherman was calling for a hot day, but early on it was wet and dewy, so it was one of those mornings when I could almost smell the dampness.
It made me hungry for toast. In Kampala, we stay at a guesthouse called the Kolping House. On mornings like this we would eat our breakfast outside - very dense toast (with lots of peanutbutter), bananas, pineapple, eggs, and passion fruit juice (or maybe a bottle of water with a grape flavored mix-in).

From the veranda of our second floor room, I can see out into the bustling city. Cars pass by, a siren sounds off in the distance. I can hear the people. Cooking pots clanging, children giggling, friends talking. Their voices are soft and soothing.

As we drive to AMG head office I can see the smiles of the children we pass by and hear their shrieks, "Muzungu! Muzungu!" (or white peron).

It won't be long now until this memory becomes our reality. And that makes me smile.


- Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment