Wednesday, July 27, 2011

More

There are four words every traveler hears. From road trips with the kids to long flights overseas, these four words echo throughout cars, buses, trains, and planes. No matter how many books you bring to read, how many snacks you bring to eat, how many crazy games or movies you watch, these words will always find their way out.

Are we there yet?

This is a child's favorite phrase on a long trip. Are we there yet? Now, most kids are smart enough to figure out if the vehicle you are in is still moving, you're not there yet. They're saying one thing while meaning another.

When they say, "Are we there yet?" what they're really saying is, "I've done every possible thing I know to do. I've played every game, read all my books, colored all my pictures, watched Despicable Me 3 times, and listened to all the music I own. I don't know what else to do. Please tell me we're there."

Do you ever feel that way in life? You know God has something big ahead for you. You know that He has something more for your life, something that will make it really matter, but you're just wondering, "Are we there yet, God? I've done all that I know to do. I've prayed. I study my Bible every day. I joined a Sunday School class and started going to Bible Study. I've served wherever there was a need. I don't know what else to do, and time just feels like it's standing still."

Are we there yet?

Are you looking for more in your life? I'm not talking about more money or more possessions. Are you looking for meaning in your life? I think we're all hoping that there's something a little more for us in this life. We want our lives to matter. We don't want to be useless and unfruitful, yet sometimes it just feels like we're stuck in a place where we've done all we know to do, and we just want to know if we're there yet.

I don't have a quick and easy fix for this. I wish there was, because it sure would make my life so much easier right now. But I think that it's in times like this that we are just where God wants us to be. Sometimes I think God needs us to get to a point in our lives where we have no idea what to do, so that when we've exhausted ourselves in trying to do things in our own power all we have is Him. He brings us to a place where we have no other option than to rely on Him to guide us through. In those moments, our faith and dependence on Him grows. As our faith grows, He can work through us more. And as He works through us more, we get closer and closer to the answer to the question

Are we there yet?

- Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment